Kelly and I went to go watch Rogue One on opening night. I purposely didn’t read anything about the film, and was completely spoiler-free going in. Here are my thoughts, that are full of spoilers.
If you haven’t watched the movie, this is a good time to stop reading. You’ve been warned.
- It still felt like Star Wars without the crawl.
- The score is ok. Michael Giacchino did a great job making it feel like Star Wars within the time he had to do it.
- Understanding what the Death Star is made with was cool.
- I don’t think we’ve visited so many places in one Star Wars movie.
- Felicity Jones and Diego Luna are amazing in this movie.
- Vader. Oh my goodness. Vader, people. Vader. Vader.
- I wanted more Vader.
- James Earl Jones came back for Vader, and it was an awesome… 2 scenes 😭.
- This story adds so much context to A New Hope.
- Leia’s motion capture face is terrible.
- The first two acts are a bit slow, and unfortunately don’t use the time to give more information about the supporting characters.
- Everyone dies. Everyone. That was a surprise for me, but made sense.
- All in all, I really liked it, but The Force Awakens is still my favorite of the recent Star Wars movies.
I’ll be doing an episode about Rogue One on Retake. Subscribe to the show, so you don’t miss it!